Die Bartimäus Trilogie - The Amulett of Samarkand

Die Bartimäus Trilogie - The Amulett of Samarkand

Tag, wollt mal fragen, ob jemand dieses Buch kennt.

Es ist eine Art Harry Potter nur weitaus düsterer und "realistischer"
      Die Bartimäus Trilogie spielt im heutigen London, wo Zauberer und Magier die Regierung vor dem Ruin und dem Zerfall schützen.
      Dies schaffen sie sowohl durch ihre Zauberkräfte (welche sie ohne Zauberstab einsetzen können) und durch Dämonen, welche sie sich gefügig gemacht haben.
      Der Protagonist Nathaniel ist ein Zauberer, welcher sich von seinem Meister unterfordert fühlt. Als sein Meister, Mr Underwood, ihm nicht hilft, als der mächtige Magier Simon Lovelace Nathaniel wegen seiner aufmüpfigen Art bestraft, beschließt Nathaniel, auf eigene Faust gegen Lovelace vorzugehen.
      So eignet er sich wissen, welches ein junge in seinem Alter laut Lehrplan nicht haben konnte und schafft es, den 5000 Jahre alten Djinni Bartimäus zu beschwören, welchem er aufträgt, das Amulett von Samarkand zu stehlen, ein Artefakt, welches Lovelace sehr wichtig zu sein scheint.
      Die Aufgabe klappt, doch Nathaniel will Lovelace komplett ruinieren und so stolpert der junge Zauberer in eine Geschichte der "Resistance", die mit allen Mitteln versucht, den Zauberern die Macht zu nehmen.

Was das Buch so faszinierend macht, ist die Art, wie es geschrieben ist.
      Entweder aus der sicht Nathaniels (3. Person) oder Bartimäus' (1. Person)
      Auch darf man nicht denken, dass Bartimäus oder Nathaniel solch strahlende HElden aka Harry Potter sind - im Gegenteil, beide sind verdammt trickreich und versuchen sich immer gegenseitig auszumanövrieren:
      so sagt Bartimäus zu Anfang:
      Wenn ich nur wüsste, wie der Junge heißt, der mich beschworen hat, dann könnte ich Lovelace einen Tipp geben, wen er töten sollte.

Es ist oft ein sehr zynisches und immer unglaublich spannendes Buch, das ich nur weiterempfehlen kann.
      Greets Peranus

BREAKING NEWS: Nolan killed in home by angry Godfather fan. Fan is quoted to have said "How is this sh*t in the top 250!?" authorities are still trying to understand his cryptic message.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „Peranus“ ()

The Golem's Eye

Tja, scheint noch keinen zu geben, der von dem Buch angetan ist.
      Wollt nur noch ein bisschen was zum zweiten Teil posten, den ich jetzt erst ausgelesen habe:

1. Er ist NOCH BESSER als der erste Teil
      2. Der Hauptcharakter verändert sich, nicht unbedingt zum Positiven
      3. Bartimäus glänzt von seiner zynischsten Seite:
      Und so ist alles gut Nathaniel.
      Außer, dass du jetzt allein bist, du dich auf niemanden verlassen kannst. Viele vor deiner Macht Angst haben du paranoid wirst und wenn du noch stärker wirst, der Minister dich wahrscheinlich aus reiner Paranoia töten lässt - aber wir haben alle unsere Probleme

Worum geht es (kleiner Spoiler):

Nathaniel a ka John Mandrake arbeitet nun im "Departement of internall affairs" und sieht es als seine Pflicht, Kitty und die anderen Mitglieder der "Resistance", einer Grupe, welche gegen die Zauberer und ihre Herrschaft rebbellieren, zu fassen.

Da seine Diener dies nicht bewerkstelligen können und durch eine unbekannte Macht der gesamte Piccadilly Circus verwüstet worden ist, beschließt Nathaniel, Bartimäus erneut zu beschwören, um mit dessen Hilfe gegen die Resistance vorzugehen.
      Der Djinni findet bald heraus, dass es sich bei der vernichtenden Waffe nicht um die Resistance handelt, sondern um einen Golem, welcher durch das gestohlene ARtefakt (Golem's Eye) von einem Zauberer gesteuert wird.

Nathaniel unternimmt bald alles, um diesen Zauberer auszumachen, wobei er auch den schwarzbärtigen Mann mit den Siebenmeilenstiefeln (Seventh plane boots) wieder trifft.

Erschreckend ist die Veränderung Nathaniels/Johns Charakters
      Der Loyale Junge aus Band eins ist im zweiten Teil zu einem hinterhältigen, paranoiden Menschen geworden - einem normalen Zauberer eben.
      Er kennt keine LOyalität mehr und die Beziehung zwischen Bartimäus und Nathaniel wird immer schlechter.
      VOrhin noch ein guter Partner, behandelt Nathaniel den Djinni wie einen Sklaven und markiert damit seine Position als Zauberer.
      Bartimäus meint letztendlich, dass Nathaniel fast zur Gänze John Mandrake ist und der Teil, welcher Nathaniel war, zu versinken scheint in der Paranoia des Zauberers.

Ein etwas außergewöhnlicher Schachzug Jonathan Strouds, wobei ich hoffe, dass Nathaniel im dritten Teil (The Other Place) wieder normal und weniger arrogant ist.

Jedenfalls ist das Buch supergelungen und ich hoffe, dass sich irgendjemand, dafür interessieren kann

greets Peranus

BREAKING NEWS: Nolan killed in home by angry Godfather fan. Fan is quoted to have said "How is this sh*t in the top 250!?" authorities are still trying to understand his cryptic message.

Preview Amulet of Samarkand

Zwar keine Antworten, aber ich hab mir mal gedacht, dass ich zwei Previews poste, damit ihr euch ein Bild von Bartimaeus machen könnt:

Preview Amulet of Samarkand

The temperature of the room dropped fast. Ice formed on the curtains and crusted thickly around the lights in the ceiling. The glowing filaments in each bulb shrank and dimmed, while the candles that sprang from every available surface like a colony of toadstools had their wicks snuffed out. The darkened room filled with a yellow, choking cloud of brimstone, in which indistinct black shadows writhed and roiled. From far away came the sound of many voices screaming. Pressure was suddenly applied to the door that led to the landing. It bulged inward, the timbers groaning. Footsteps from invisible feet came pattering across the floorboards and invisible mouths whispered wicked things from behind the bed and under the desk.

The sulfur cloud contracted into a thick column of smoke that vomited forth thin tendrils; they licked the air like tongues before withdrawing. The column hung above the middle of the pentacle, bubbling ever upward against the ceiling like the cloud of an erupting volcano. There was a barely perceptible pause. Then two yellow staring eyes materialized in the heart of the smoke.

Hey, it was his first time. I wanted to scare him.

And I did, too. The dark-haired boy stood in a pentacle of his own, smaller, filled with different runes, three feet away from the main one. He was pale as a corpse, shaking like a dead leaf in a high wind. His teeth rattled in his shivering jaw. Beads of sweat dripped from his brow, turning to ice as they fell through the air. They tinkled with the sound of hailstones on the floor.

All well and good, but so what? I mean, he looked about twelve years old. Wide-eyed, hollow-cheeked. There?s not that much satisfaction to be had from scaring the pants off a scrawny kid.

So I floated and waited, hoping he wasn?t going to take too long to get round to the dismissing spell. To keep myself occupied, I made blue flames lick up around the inner edges of the pentacle, as if they were seeking a way to get out and nab him. All hokum, of course. I?d already checked and the seal was drawn well enough. No spelling mistakes anywhere, unfortunately.

At last it looked as if the urchin was plucking up the courage to speak. I guessed this by a stammering about his lips that didn?t seem to be induced by pure fear alone. I let the blue fire die away, to be replaced by a foul smell.

The kid spoke. Very squeakily.

?I charge you . . . to . . . to . . .? Get on with it! ?T-t-tell me your n-name.?

That?s usually how they start, the young ones. Meaningless waffle. He knew, and I knew that he knew, my name already; otherwise how could he have summoned me in the first place? You need the right words, the right actions, and most of all the right name. I mean, it?s not like hailing a cab?you don?t get just anybody when you call.

I chose a rich, deep, dark chocolaty sort of voice, the kind that resounds from everywhere and nowhere and makes the hairs stand up on the back of inexperienced necks.

?Bartimaeus.?

Preview: The Golem's Eye

Prologue: Prague, 1868

At dusk, the enemy's campfires came on, one by one, in greater profusion than on any night before. The lights sparkled like fiery jewels out in the grayness of the plains, so numerous it seemed an enchanted city had sprung up from the earth. By contrast, within our walls the houses had their shutters closed, their lights blacked out. A strange reversal had taken place-Prague itself was dark and dead, while the countryside around it flared with life.

Soon afterward, the wind began to drop. It had been blowing strongly from the west for hours, carrying word of the invaders' movements -- the rattling of the siege engines, the calling of the troops and animals, the sighing of the captive spirits, the odors of the incantations. Now, with unnatural speed, it died away and the air was steeped in silence.

I was floating high above the Strahov monastery, just inside the magnificent city walls I'd built three hundred years before. My leather wings moved in strong, slow beats, my eyes scanned the seven planes to the horizon. It did not make for happy viewing. The mass of the British army was cloaked behind Concealments, but its ripples of power lapped already at the base of Castle Hill. The auras of a vast contingent of spirits were dimly visible in the gloom; with every minute further brief trembles on the planes signaled the arrival of new battalions. Groups of human soldiers moved purposefully over the dark ground. In their midst stood a cluster of great white tents, domed like rocs' eggs, about which Shields and other spells hung cobweb-thick.1

I raised my gaze to the darkened sky. It was an angry black mess of clouds, smeared with streaks of yellow to the west. At a high altitude and scarcely visible in the dying light, I spied six faint dots circling well out of Detonation range. They progressed steadily widdershins, mapping out the walls a final time, checking the strength our defenses.

Speaking of which?I had to do the same.

At Strahov Gate, furthest flung and most vulnerable outpost of the walls, the tower had been raised and strengthened. The ancient doors were sealed with triple hexes and a wealth of trigger mechanisms, and the louring battlements at the crest of the tower bristled with watchful sentries.

That at least was the idea.

To the tower I flew, hawk-headed, leather-winged, hidden behind my shroud of wisps. I alighted barefoot, without a sound, on a prominent crest of stone. I waited for the swift, sharp challenge, the vigorous display of instant readiness.

Fußnote:
      1Doubtless, this was where the British magicians were skulking, at a safe distance from the action. My Czech masters were just the same. In war, magicians always like to reserve the most dangerous jobs for themselves, such as fearlessly guarding large quantities of food and drink a few miles behind the lines.

Ich hab die Trilogie erst vor kurzem gelesen und bin begeistert. Die Charaktere sind vielschichtig gezeichnet (und durchaus nicht immer sympathisch), das Setting interessant, das Finale spannend und vor allem, das Buch ist witzig!!

Zwei Daumen hoch von mir! Fantasy-Fans sollten's gelesen haben.

Grüsse,
      Gerald
      Wargamer im Ruhestand
      Möglicherweise verführbar zu Mortheim, Last Night on Earth, Descent 2